Fleetwood and the Car that Made It

Posted on February 17, 2012 by

0


The town once known as Coxville, and now known as our home town of Fleetwood, has quite a bit of unexpected history behind it.

There are two theories as to how the name Fleetwood came about. Some say Mr. Fleet and Mr. Wood were two railroad surveyors and the names were combined, while others say Fleetwood got its name because it reminded a man who was working on the railroad at the time of a seaside resort named Fleetwood.

Regardless of how Fleetwood earned its name, it has a lot of history behind it.

Fleetwood was once home to the Fleetwood Cadillac. In 1947, the Fleetwood Brougham Cadillac first appeared and continued to be produced up until 1996.

During the ’90s, Cadillac went through many changes in order to update the vehicle. During this time, the Fleetwood Cadillac was renamed to the Brougham Cadillac.

The Cadillac automobile was named after Le Sieur Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. By 1907, more than 20,000 Cadillacs had been produced. In 1954, Cadillac actually became the first car manufacturer to make power steering standard on its line of automobiles.

There are some that still collect these classic cars to this day.

Tagged:
Posted in: Uncategorized