Shooting at Florida School Claims 17 Lives

Posted on March 7, 2018 by


On 14 January 2018, a tragedy occurred. A shooting broke out in a school in Florida named Stoneman Douglas High School.  The shooter, nineteen-year-old Nikolas Cruz, is 17.

Cruz arrived at the school via Uber earlier that morning. He took his rifle out of the case and started shooting in classrooms. After Cruz was done shooting, he dropped the AR-15 and his vest in order to blend in with the rest of the students leaving the school. Cruz left on foot.

After Cruz was taken into custody, he told a police officer that he hid extra ammunition in his backpack and shot students in the hallways and on school grounds. Scott Israel, Broward County’s Sheriff, also said that over the past few years his office had received about 20 calls regarding Cruz and his younger brother. Agents were also warned five months ago about a Youtube comment made by Cruz that seemed suspicious. The comment read, “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.”

This tragedy has been deemed the deadliest school shooting since 2012, which was the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School that claimed 20 children’s lives and those of six adults.

A doctor at Broward Health North declined to share any information on the patients but did make a statement: “They are going to have successful surgeries… They are going to recover.  They are going to go home.”

Posted in: Elyse Essick