Jacy Good Shares Tragedy with FAHS

Posted on May 26, 2017 by


On 18 May 2008, college graduate Jacy Good was on her way home from graduation with her parents and everything she ever owned. She was ready to begin her life with her college sweetheart, Steve Johnson. This typical 90-minute drive home ended up taking months.

Good’s last memory was of her and her parents stopping for gas and a coffee ten minutes before the crash. She was later told that a teenager who was driving and talking on his phone made a left at a red light, causing a tractor-trailer to swerve and hit her station wagon head on.

Her parents were pronounced dead at the scene, Jacy in critical condition. According to Good, the next two months of her life were absolutely nonexistent in her memory.

The broken bones, lacerations, internal injuries, and, most critically, traumatic brain injury left her chances of survival at a trifling 10%.

A week after the crash, Good began to wake up from her induced coma. She slowly started following simple commands, like giving a thumbs up. It took nearly a month for her to say anything and several more weeks afterwards before she started making any sense at all.

The first solid memory Jacy had was 7 July, when she was being transported to a rehab hospital. Four days after her first memory after the crash was her twenty-second birthday. Even after the doctors told her many times, over and over, that her parents had passed away at impact, Good was still confused as to why they weren’t there to celebrate her birthday with Steve and herself. The loss of her parents could not stick in her mind.

Her fiance spent nearly every waking moment by her side, yet it wasn’t until a few months after the accident that she finally realized who he was. Good was sure that he was her brother, Jared, even though Johnson was six inches shorter and approximately one hundred pounds lighter.

During rehab, Jacy had learned to dress and feed herself, as well as read and speak again. She gradually worked her way from kindergarten worksheets up to the level she is at now, her brain rewiring and coming back to her.

By 19 September 2013, Good’s last day of rehab, she had taken her first steps since the accident. Progressing from a wheelchair to a cane, she finally ended up with an ankle brace that she still wears today.

“Getting to where I am today has been one [heck] of a journey, and I am so thankful to be able to live an almost completely independent life. Steve and I live wonderful lives as public speakers, but we would trade it in a second to just go back to normal. I live in a new normal now,” Good said.

Posted in: Uncategorized